Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 59: Because It's 1, 2, 3 Strikes You're Out.....


(Oakland, October 2009) 

Baseball was not a big part of my childhood like many other children. I knew what the sport was and we had played t-ball and softball in elementary school, but we didn't have outings to the baseball games and my dad did not throw the ball around with me. We did other sports and other activities. However, I was always drawn to the crowd of baseball and the excitement of it. It isn't fast pace like football, which I grew up watching, but it definitely has its exciting moments.

Two of my favorite childhood movies were centered around baseball. The first was The Sandlot and every time I watched it in day care, I remember feeling that desire to join a create a neighborhood team and play baseball all day. The second movie was A League of Their Own. I saw the women as strong and powerful and I wanted to be like that.

I didn't attend my first baseball game until I was about 20 years old. I remember thinking, this is exactly how I had envisioned it with all the sights and even smells.

"Ice cream for $4! Lemonade, get your cold lemonade! Peanuts! Get Your Peanuts!" All these moments cannot be captured at home watching baseball, that's why I really enjoy watching the games live.

Another fun part of attending the games is seeing who attends. It always warms my heart to see a family taking time out on a sunny Saturday to enjoy a game and each other's company. Those children will have fond memories to look back on when they're older.

No comments:

Post a Comment